Amendment 2 of the IET Wiring Regulations will come into effect immediately upon its publication on March 28, 2022. The previous version, BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, will be withdrawn six months later. This update is considered crucial and will serve as the national standard for all new electrical installations, as well as additions and alterations to existing electrical installations in the UK. The IET and BSI emphasize the importance of electrical professionals familiarizing themselves with these changes.
The significant modifications introduced in this update include:
- Introduction of Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDDs): Certain AC final circuits in higher-risk residential buildings will now require AFDDs for enhanced safety.
- Documentation of Fire Safety Design: Specific conditions, such as protected escape routes and locations at risk of fire, will necessitate the documentation of fire safety design for buildings.
- Method for Determining Overvoltage Protection: The update includes a standardized method for determining the requirement to provide overvoltage protection.
- Changes to Identification, Labels, and Notices: Safety information provided to users of electrical installations, including consumer units, will be affected by changes to identification, labels, and notices.
- Introduction of a New Chapter: Part 8 of the regulations introduces a chapter specifically dedicated to Prosumer’s Low Voltage Electrical Installations.
It is vital for electrical professionals to stay updated and well-versed in these amendments to ensure compliance with the new standards.